Food standards Agency has just issued a food safety management pack to help Restaurants, cafés, takeaways and other small catering businesses comply with food hygiene regulations. The new-look version of the pack (published November 2015) includes new advice and is easier to use. It includes advice on:
- See more at: http://www.food.gov.uk
There is plenty of great, useful and easily digestible (unlike campylobacter) information here. Which you would expect given it is the Food standards agency.
Amongst the many sections is a section about Cleaning. In this section it talks about HIGH PRIORITY CLEANING and here’s what it says.
“Ideally use a dishwasher. Do not overload the dishwasher and make sure it is maintained and serviced regularly. If you do not have a dishwasher, wash plates, equipment etc. in hot soapy water using diluted detergent. Remove grease and any food and dirt. Then immerse them in very hot, clean water. Leave to air dry, or dry with a clean disposable cloth”
Dishwashers wash items thoroughly at a high temperature so this is a good way to clean equipment and kill bacteria (disinfect) and remove allergens. If you overload the dishwasher, it may not wash effectively”
Great advice. In addition we would recommend the following Top 5 tips for making sure that the Dishwasher is cleaning your ware properly giving you the hygiene your business needs.
- Get a decent dishwasher
- Make sure that it is working to manufacturer's specification. If the warewasher isn’t working properly, get a service engineer in quickly. It may not be disinfecting your kitchen ware.
- Ensure that it is being operated properly – to manufacturer's specification. How your operator uses it is important.
- Make sure you are using certified chemicals which are dosed correctly by your dishwasher.
- Make sure the person putting the ware away has clean hands.
If you have issues with your dishwasher call us on 0115 9613720
written by David Teasdale